Sunday, February 14, 2010

Signs... and Other Odd Phenomena

Used to be that I believed if it rained on your wedding day, it meant that you would need to carry an umbrella... not that it meant good luck. Or if you broke your mirror, then you would need to invest another few dollars in a new looking glass, lest you continue to view your face in several alternative realities simultaneously. Never really believed that it meant you would have bad luck for the next seven years. It was only in the last few years that I began to realize that the universe whispers in our ears messages that we are supposed to hear.

Yesterday morning, I was a bit rushed to get out the door to make it to my hair appointment in time. So I threw on the first clean t-shirt I could find. I put it on and realized it had a very faint blue-tinged ring, about the size of a silver dollar. It was not a blob, or a spot of any kind; rather, it was as though someone took a thick marker and drew a somewhat irregularly shaped circle on my shirt, directly over my right breast. I was in a hurry, so I wore the shirt anyway. Upon arrival to my appointment, as I took my seat belt off, not only was the circle more pronounced, there were TWO circles, interlocking, as if some mysterious message was being emblazoned on my shirt by alien beings designing a new crop circle. That's odd, I thought. And a bit of a bummer, since I really like this t-shirt, and now it's not good for much more than wearing around the house.

But tonight, as I took the wet laundry out of the washer, I noticed another favorite shirt had the same mysterious circle - directly over my right breast. I read recently that if we do not take time to listen to the whispers, then pretty soon we'll be forced to listen to the screams. I do not need to be reminded again. It's time for my annual mammogram.

No comments:

Post a Comment