Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Shifting

On January 25, 2010 a major and unexpected shift occurred in my life. It felt a bit surreal, actually, when it occurred and I proclaimed it to the universe. All I knew at the moment was that it was true, and I didn’t question this shift. But I did wonder whether I would cave, and go back to my usual ways. That has been my experience in the past – I used to give up easily. The shift was unlike anything I had experienced before. There was a palpable heat behind my proclamation, a passion you might say. There is something called “a priori” knowledge. This is knowledge that is not learned in the traditional sense of books and classroom education, nor is it learned by life experience; rather, it is an innate knowing of sorts, a knowledge deep within the soul. On the day of my proclamation, I knew this to be true. My new truth is this: I am a vegetarian. This is to say that I decided on that sunny Sunday afternoon that I would no longer consume animal meat or eggs. However, I will still consume fish and shellfish. Now, remember my earlier statement in a previous post about baby steps. That’s what this is – a baby step toward even greater health and enlightenment.

For years I have known about the unjustified and often brutal mistreatment of animals raised for food, but I turned a blind eye in favor of a juicy garlic burger slathered in a variety of dressings and condiments and dripping with thick cheddar cheese. It took just one more graphic story to bring me to the tipping point and push me over that edge of decision. Please do not ask me to reiterate the information that was the straw that broke the camel’s back. Suffice it to say, I no longer crave that burger, or any other red, white, or pink meat whatsoever. Six days later, I eliminated coffee and cow’s milk from my nutrition regimen, in favor of black tea with agave nectar. Since these items have been banned from my bodily experience, I have developed an unusual, earthy sense of calm, and I have noticed that the symptoms associated with my asthma are beginning to wane. In addition, I have been sleeping without pharmaceutical assistance for nearly a week. Now whether some or all of these little victories are due to the black tea, or to the acupuncture, or the herbs prescribed by my acupuncturist, I do not know for certain. What I do know is that my taste buds have come alive and are experiencing food on a whole new and exciting level. A major shift has occurred, and it feels good. Very, very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment