Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Holy Beads of Sweat Batman!

If you know me at all, you know that I absolutely dislike gyms. I absolutely do not like the artificial sounds and smells (um, and the organic smells too). The electronic buzzing and whirring of the machines, the music they play overhead, the public restrooms. I just don't like it one bit! I would much rather be on a challenging hiking trail in Sedona, or walking along the beach in the morning on the hard, wet virgin sand. But today I did it. 


I went to the gym.


Planned to take a class, but there weren't any going on when I got there. So I got on the treadmill. And wouldn't you know, as soon as I started walking I got a cramp in my leg! Oh come on! Are you kidding me? I stopped a couple times and rubbed it a little, and thought "I'm going nowhere fast doing it this way." And really, I was going nowhere fast. I was on a revolving belt, going in circles beneath my feet. 


But I stopped rubbing, and I started walking. And the music had a pretty good beat to it. Hmmm, this feels good... a little warm, but I'm not even out of breath ten minutes into the walk. Let's kick things up a notch! So I increased the angle, increased the speed, and started moving my arms, dancing a little, even singing along. Seriously! I'm doing this, and all these people start coming over to the treadmills, the ellipticals. Are they watching me? Yeah... THERE'S the sweat! And I started feeling the burn, and feeling a little winded. But that didn't stop me!


Today, after not exercising since 2005, I walked 2.82 miles and burned 283 calories! WOO HOOOO!! My back is a little sore, but the cramp in my leg stopped when I kicked it up a notch!


Now that's progress! 


Tomorrow night... ZUMBA! 



No comments:

Post a Comment