Thursday, March 18, 2010

Observations

A little bit out of the ordinary - that's what my day was like today. Of course, I woke up at the same time, carried out my usual morning routine, and started work at the regular time. But I awoke with two intentions today, one of which was that I would take my lunch time at Starbucks today, just to sit in the sun and enjoy a delicious cup of coffee. I would not take a book with me, nor would I chat with someone on the phone, or check Facebook. Rather, I would sit, and sip my coffee, and be still. There is so much commotion, so much stress, so much "doing" in the world - by me and by others - it was time to move myself out of my mundane routine and go somewhere different, and be still.

So I ordered my cinnamon dolce latte (in case you were wondering, this is my new favorite Starbucks beverage), and I sat in the sun. It was warm, and well, actually a little too warm! That lasted for about five minutes until I moved into the shade. As I settled into the comfortable shade, I listened to the music playing, and said "okay, now I will be still." I observed everything around me - the cars driving by, the woman in the parking lot pushing an empty shopping cart, a child running to the pizza place next door, a bird chirping...

A bird chirping! Well, that just made me happy! Where was it coming from, that beautiful song? I just knew it was the bougainvillea plant next to my table, but I couldn’t see the bird. Why can’t I see that bird? Where is it hiding? I must see that little bird!

Out of nowhere, someone, something spoke to me: Why do you feel the need to see the bird? And I answered that someone or something: Because I want to see that sweet little bird? And then came: Why must you see the bird to know it’s there? Good question. I do not need proof that the bird is there. Its song is all I need to reassure me that it’s presence is real. And then within moments, as if on cue from God himself, the bird stepped out onto the outermost branch, perched in my direction, and sang its little heart out to me, as if he was serenading me! And I learned that if I had jumped up to see that little bird when I wanted to, I would have missed the opportunity to experience the bird as it was intended to be experienced, and I would have missed out on a special symphony of nature.

Today I learned how important it is to be observant of everything around me, and to allow events to unfold as they are meant to unfold, without forcing, without fighting, without influencing an outcome. The bliss is in the waiting and observation of the world as it is. Namaste, my friends…

No comments:

Post a Comment